Back to General Relativity
Table of Contents
- Line Elements and Metric Tensors
Line Elements and Metric Tensors
- The line element ds for a curve or a space is the shortest distance between two neighboring points. Using calculus, ds can be used to calculate distances, lengths, angles, areas, volumes, and geodesics (the shortest line between two points).
- The line element is determined by the Metric Tensor and coordinates.
- Metric Tensor + Coordinates ➞ Line Element
- Line Element + Calculus ➞ Distances, Lengths, Angles, Areas, Volumes, Geodesics